This is one of those old, classic, little culinary tricks that make the French look so clever (note: there are more than a few of these little clever culinary tricks). Serve up a bunch of radishes, with leaves on and all, rinsed and fresh from the market. Next to the radishes place a small bowl or ramekin of softened butter, and another one filled with kosher or sea salt (or just mound up the salt in a little pile).
Swipe the radishes in the butter, give them a quick dip in the salt and crunch away. Elegant, easy and impressively sophisticated. And as you can see, big visual appeal.Tweet This
You can make this with regular softened butter, but if you use European-Style butter, which has more butterfat, you will be richly rewarded with a deep, rich flavor.
Swipe the radishes in the butter, give them a quick dip in the salt and crunch away. Elegant, easy and impressively sophisticated.
I tossed in a bunch of herbs to make a compound butter of sorts, and you can switch up those herbs as you like, and also add a pop of citrus zest if you wish. There are lots of uses for this kind of flavored butter. Serve up a generous pat on a sizzling steak and let the flavorful butter melt all over the meat. A little decadent, a perfect example of gilding the lily, and we sure do like our lilies gilded from time to time.
Other Vegetable Appetizer Recipes:
- All-Green Crudités Basket
- Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crostini
- Mushroom Bruschetta with Herbed Mayonnaise
- Fried Green Tomatoes with Green Goddess Dressing
Radishes with Herb Butter
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) European style unsalted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches fresh radishes
- Place the softened butter in a small bowl. Add the parsley, basil, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and mash with a fork until well blended. Transfer to a small bowl or ramekin. Fill another small bowl or ramekin with additional salt for serving. Place the bowls on a larger serving platter with the radishes and serve.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved