Simple Chicken Stir Fry
There is not much to this stir fry, but over the years I find I prefer a simpler stir fry, with fewer ingredients and cleaner flavors than one muddled up with ½ dozen sauces and spices. In this one the soy sauce and the sesame oil share the stage with bright lemon, and that’s pretty much it.
And even as I type that I think, hey, this would also be good with some more sesame oil, or some hoisin sauce or oyster sauce added in……so I guess I just like stir frys, and this one happens to be on the simple side.
What to Serve with Lemon and Scallion Chicken Stir Fry
This stir fry doesn’t really even have vegetables in it, a generous handful of scallion pieces aside, so you’ll want to serve it with some Clean and Spicy Asian Greens, Asian Bok Choy, or Sesame Asparagus and Shiitake Mushrooms.
Pssst….do you know how to cook perfect rice on the stove? Some people find this questions nervous-making. If you’ve never really felt like you’ve mastered the art of fluffy, non-sticky rice, click here for the scoop (and for a video!).
Once you have all of the ingredients prepared, this stir fry (like most stir frys) take less than 10 minutes to go from stove to table. Have that rice ready to go, and make sure someone has set the table.
If you like the look of those Japanese Meatballs with Ponzu Glaze, click here.
Other Stir Fry Recipes:
More stir fries? You got it:
- Chicken Stir Fry with Peanuts
- Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry with Udon Noodles
- Chicken, Broccoli and Sugar Snap Pea Stir Fry
- Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry with Miso Sauce
- Chicken and Spinach Stir-Fry with Ginger and Oyster Sauce
- Spicy Stir Fried Beef and Vegetables
And you may also want to know: How to Cook Perfect Rice on the Stove.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Lemon and Scallion Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 lemons zested and juiced (juice strained)
- 5 scallions trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice for serving, any kind
- Heat the oil in a very large skillet or a wok over medium-high. Add the onion and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir fry for another 30 seconds, until you can smell the garlic. Turn the heat to high and add the chicken, stirring frequently for 5 or 6 minutes until browned and almost cooked throughout. Drizzle over the soy sauce and sesame oil, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the scallions, cooking for 2 more minutes, until the scallions soften and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the half of the lemon zest and all of the strained juice. Taste and add more zest as desired, and salt and pepper as needed. Serve over the hot rice in a shallow serving platter.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved