Hearty Lentil, Vegetable and Grain Soup
This soup was born of the need for a comforting, substantial soup that would feed a crowd, and a crowd that included a few vegetarians. It’s so pretty, and the variety of textures makes it fun to eat. The seasonings are very light and gentle, allowing the flavors if the ingredients to have their moment….but a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan on top wouldn’t hurt (when has a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan ever hurt?), or you can add a squirt of Sriracha hot sauce.
Hearty Lentil, Vegetable and Grain SoupPrint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 cups vegetable broth, plus additional as needed
- 1 cup small green lentils
- ¾ cup Arborio rice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¾ cup Israeli couscous
- 6 cups roughly chopped kale
- ½ pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15.5 ounce or so) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute, until golden then add the broth. Bring to a simmer, add the lentils and Arborio rice, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Add the couscous and kale simmer for 10 more minutes. Add the asparagus and cannellini beans and if the mixture is very thick, you may add some additional broth or water. Simmer for a final 5 or so minutes, until everything is tender. Serve hot.
Make AheadThis can be kept for up to 5 days in the refrigerator; it will thicken in the fridge, so you may need to add additional broth or water as you reheat portions of it.
What The Kids Can Do
Measure ingredients, chop kale and asparagus with a kid-friendly knife, rinse beans, add ingredients to pot with supervision.