The standard thing to say in almost every recipe that features corn is that fresh corn kernels are preferable, but that during non-corn-season moments frozen or canned is fine. That’s true here, and I love me my frozen corn (this Cheesy Mashed Potato Topped Shepherd’s Pie would not make as many appearances on the table in the colder months without that fantastic convenience product), but boy, is this good with fresh barely cooked sweet corn in the summer. This corn and potato salad is a perfect way to use up a few leftover ears.
If you love the corn part of this salad, add as much as you like. You could even make it into a corn salad punctuated with potatoes if you were so inclined.
The dressing is tangy from the lemon juice and buttermilk, and the creaminess of the potatoes is punctuated by the pop of the crispy corn. Potato salad is often sorely in need of some texture, and this one doesn’t disappoint. If you really want another bit of crunch, add 1/2 cup of finely diced celery.
If you are a regular potato salad maker you know that potatoes can absorb dressing pretty significantly. It might seems like quite a bit of dressing at first, but it will thicken up quite a bit on standing. And if you refrigerate it, even more.
If at all possible I try to make and serve potato salads without them ever seeing the inside of a fridge, but if you do want to make it ahead you surely can. Just let it come to cool room temperature before serving. I don’t really get the appeal of a chilled potato salad.
This is the perfect thing to serve up with barbecue, grilled meats, burgers. Some burger options are Deviled Burgers, Chipotle Barbecue Turkey Burgers, Fork-in-the-Road Burgers (with a Kick), or Grilled Cheeseburgers with Herb Sauce.
If you are thinking to bring this corn and potato salad to a picnic or other potluck event you might remember to pack the extra crumbled bacon in a separate little baggie or container and sprinkle it on at the end to preserve the crunchiness, but if you don’t remember? Eh. You brought potato salad, you’re awesome. Double or triple this at will
The creaminess of the potatoes is punctuated by the pop of the crispy corn and crumbled bacon.Tweet This
And I’m just going to say it—if you want to double the amount of bacon in this salad I think that’s a very fine idea.
Other potato salads to know and love:
- Classic Potato Salad with Celery and Fresh Thyme
- Egg and Potato Salad with Bacon (yes, I clearly have potato salad and bacon issues)
- Mayonnaise-Free Potato Salad
Like this recipe? Pin it to your favorite board on Pinterest.Pin This
Creamy Corn and Potato Salad with Bacon and Lemon Buttermilk Dressing
- 4 Yukon potatoes about 1 1/2 pounds
- Kosher or coarse salt to taste
- ½ red or yellow onion minced
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels
- ½ cup thinly sliced or chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon divided
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into ½ inch dice. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat, add the potatoes, cover the pot partially and return the water to a simmer, then reduce the heat so that the water stays at a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain the potatoes but do not rinse, and let the potatoes cool for about 10 minutes in the colander.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl mix together the onion, yogurt, buttermilk, mustard, lemon juice, zest, and salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes, corn, basil, and bacon in a large bowl, pour the dressing over and toss to mix well. Turn into a serving bowl.
The nutrition values are provided as an estimate. It is not intended as a substitute for the advice of a qualified healthcare professional.
Made this recipe? Post a photo of your delicious creation on Instagram with our hashtag #dinnersolved
I love this salad and do not like potato salad, that’s how good this is! Thanks for bringing me to the other side. My family of potato lovers thanks you, too.
Corn, basil and bacon in potato salad – perfect!! Pinned:)
summer, here we come!!