5-Ingredient Pasta #5: Chicken and Mushroom Marsala Rotelle
This Chicken and Mushroom Marsala Rotelle is the definition of winter-hearty, and weeknight friendly. And don’t we all need more pastas like that in our lives?
Marsala is the typical wine used in the classic chicken dish, but you could also try Madeira, another fortified wine. Both of these last for months and months in a cool dry place, so you don’t have to worry about buying a bottle and then trying to figure out what to do with the rest of it immediately.
Here are a few nice ways to use up that bottom of marsala:
- Bacon, Sage, and Provolone Chicken Rolls with Marsala Sauce
- Pan Seared Pork Chops with Marsala and Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Creamy Mushrooms with Marsala Crostini
And if you’re in the market for other 5-ingredient pastas? Try these:
- 5-Ingredient Pasta #1: Thin Spaghetti with Fennel, Bacon and Parmesan
- 5-ingredient Pasta #2: Campanelle with Chicken, Sausage, Kale and Olives
- 5 Ingredient Pasta #3: Pasta with Creamy Sundried Tomato and Scallion Sauce
- 5 Ingredient Pasta #4: Whole Grain Penne with Zucchini, Tomato, and Feta
Kosher salt to taste
1 pound rotelle (or another short chunky) pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup dry marsala wine
1 pound cleaned and sliced mushroom (you can use any type or combination of mushrooms)
4 cups diced or slivered cooked chicken
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water generously, and let it return to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook accordingly to package directions, stirring occasionally. Before you drain the pasta make sure to remove a cup of the cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute until it starts to turn golden, then add the mushrooms, turn the heat to medium-high and sauté for 8 minutes until they are browned. Add the marsala and chicken and stir, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until the wine reduces by half, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, adding ½ cup of the reserved cooking water to the pan with the chicken. Return the pasta to the pot, and add the chicken mixture to the pasta, along with the parsley, and toss to combine. Add more of the reserved cooking water if needed to moisten. Serve hot.