Classic Greek Salad
It's hard to say who likes Greek salad more, me or Jack.
Serving Size: 4
It’s a tough call to say who likes Greek Salad more, Jack or me. If I am at a diner for any meal other than breakfast, that’s what I am ordering (and hoping like hell whoever I am eating with is ordering something that comes with fries so I don’t have to look like a person with no self control whatsoever by ordering my own plate of fries on the side. Which I will do, in a pinch.)
Jack however will come home from school and make himself a Greek salad for a snack. If I have failed in my provider duty to lay in a full supply of feta, Greek olives, and romaine, he is not only disappointed, but vaguely perplexed. Like I ran out of milk.
Classic Greek Salad
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or coarse salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ seedless cucumber, or 2 Persian cucumbers
- 8 cups sliced romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ pound feta cheese, cut into ⅓ inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves (optional)
1. In a container combine the olive oil, vinegar, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, mustard, salt, garlic, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Shake well to combine.
2. If you are using a seedless cucumber (which of course are never fully seedless), slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Slice the cucumber. If you are using small person cucumbers, simply slice them.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, and cucumber. Shake the dressing once more to combine, and pour over about half of the dressing. Toss the salad. Transfer to a shallow serving bowl. Place the slices of feta on top, and drizzle over a bit more of the dressing. Sprinkle over a bit of dried oregano, and the fresh oregano leaves, if using.