Chocolate Espresso Buttercream
For when you can't decide between chocolate and coffee. Meaning for every day.Print
Serving Size: Makes enough frosting for 1 8-inch layer cake
People who love both chocolate and coffee (and there are legions of them) are going to kiss you on the mouth when they taste this. So serve it thoughtfully. This is excellent on the Rich Yellow Cake, but also perfect on chocolate cake.
If you want to make this up to three days ahead of time, go right ahead, but bring it to room temperature before using — you can give it a whip with a whisk or an electric mixer if you really want to fluff it up again.
- ¼ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cream, half and half, or milk (preferably whole)
1. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, or in a double boiler. Cool.
2. In a medium bowl, cream the butter. Blend in half of the sugar, then the cooled melted chocolate, vanilla, salt and the espresso powder. Alternate the remaining two cups confectioners sugar with the cream, until it reaches the desired sweetness and consistency.