Barbacoa Beef ChiliPrint
Okay, those Barbacoa beef tacos were good, but there’s still a lot leftover….that was not unintentional. Here is a glimpse inside my Machiavellian brain…..I wanted to make a beef chili, but I wanted to figure out how to get some serious flavor into the meat BEFORE it even met up with the beans and other ingredients. I also wanted shredded meat, not ground, and not cubed. So first, I made Barbacoa Beef, and that was one great meal. And then, this happened.
The ingredient quantities here are for the full recipe of Barbacoa Beef, 3 pounds worth of slow cooked round eye, shredded, but if you used half of it for tacos or some other recipe, then you can easily cut all of these ingredients in half, and still have a seriously sized pot of chili.
- 1 recipe Barbacoa Beef, shredded, including the liquid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or vegetable or canola oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- Coarse or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice
- Salsa (tomato or tomatillo)
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar, or crumbled queso fresco, goat cheese, or feta
- Avocado or guacamole
- Chopped onion or scallions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Lime wedges
1. In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, pepper, carrots, celery, and garlic until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the cumin and chili powder and stir. Add the beans and the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Lower the meat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the beef to the pot with its cooking liquid and simmer for 30 minutes until everything smells just great. Serve the chili in bowls over the hot rice, and let everyone top their own portions.